St Michael’s Church, Church Road, Chart Sutton, Kent ME17 3RB.
Our church can be found on the southern side of village opposite the Sutton Valence Prep School, up a single track lane. It lies on the track of the Greensand Way long distance path which in the area links the churches from Linton through to Ulcombe and beyond.
For precise directions, please see the map at the bottom of this page.
For security reasons, the church building, sadly, has to be kept locked when not in use.
STYLE OF WORSHIP
Both the traditional Book of Common Prayer and more modern settings are used for worship. The approach is broadly traditional.
Bell ringing practice is held on Thursdays, in summer practice is alternated with East Sutton, and in winter the first Thursday is at East Sutton, and the remaining Thursdays are at Chart Sutton.
We hold coffee mornings irregularly, in the village and have jumble sales held jointly with other village organisations.
Most social, prayer groups and other ‘out of church’ worship activities are held in conjunction with the other parishes in the benefice.
There has been a church on this site since at least the time of the Domesday Book. The tower was built in 14th century, but on St George’s Day 1779 the church was struck by lightning and set on fire. Even the bells melted. After fundraising a rebuilt church was reopened in 1782. It was designed by Henry Holland – who was also responsible for Woburn Abbey. Two further restorations were carried out, in 1898 and 1967.
Click on a thumbnail of the church to view in more detail